1 Real Ale pub
Population (2011) of Shottisham: 197.
Local licensing authority for Shottisham is Suffolk Coastal.
A pleasant village with a weather-boarded watermill, recorded in Domesday as "Scotesham". John Speed's 1610 map shows the village as "Shatſham".
Two burial mounds can be seen from the bridleway leading to Bussock wood. Shottisham creek runs down to the river Deben, but is prevented from entering it by the sea wall.
A Starfish type bombing decoy, designated as Shottisham, was built in early 1941 in the north-east of Ramsholt (at TM 313 427) to deflect enemy bombing from Ipswich. Later that year, a QL decoy was added to protect the Ransome, Sims and Jeffries factory. See Pastscape for more details.
Cropmarks in the north of Shottisham indicate the location of ring ditches which are thought to be the remains of a henge, as well as a barrow cemetery. Worked flint flakes and some pottery remains have also been found in the same area.
The Woodhall Hotel, often listed as being in Shottisham, is actually in Sutton.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)