Population (2011) of Shotley: 2342.
Local licensing authority for Shotley is Babergh.
Some old sailors were less than complimentary about the village: "Shotley church without a steeple, Drunken parson, wicked people." Today the large and mainly modern settlement on the apex of a peninsular offers great views out into estuaries of the two rivers, Stour and Orwell, as they reach the sea. Shotley Cottage (TM 2360 3455) was a WWI radio telegraphy station.
Shotley was recorded in Domesday as "Scoteleia".
Shotley Gate lies at the bottom of the hill and along the shoreline leading to a modern marina. This is one of the most interesting and significant places on the "Shotley Peninsula".
There were evidently fears that Shotley Gate would be a possible site of any invasion during WWII; an anti-tank ditch dug to cut it off from the rest of the peninsular can still be seen in places along its route from Cockle Creek via Over Hall to Shotley Marshes.
From Shotley Point, there are superb views across the Orwell and Stour Rivers, to the busy Suffolk port of Felixstowe (the largest container port in the country), and to two Essex ports of Harwich and Parkeston Quay. These are two of the country's busiest ferry and cruise liner ports.
Originally an Anglo Saxon settlement, Shotley Gate saw its first naval battle in AD885, when Alfred, King of Wessex fought off Guthrum the Dane's invading army. This area became known as "bloody point". HMS Ganges was berthed here from 1899, and used as a cadet training ship for the Royal Navy. The training facility, still named HMS Ganges, moved ashore (in 1905) and was then located onto higher ground just behind Shotley Gate. Cadet training ended in 1976 and there is now a small naval museum dedicated to HMS Ganges in Shotley Marina.
HMS Ganges was a floating Royal Navy Training Establishment for cadets (established 1890) which became landbased after 1905, and included the 143 feet high mast which came in part from HMS Cordelia and in part from HMS Agincourt (C1900). HMS Ganges closed in 1976. The site is now used as a police training facility.
Since 2002 Wintegemot wines has been operating locally.