Rushmere St Andrew
1 Real Ale pub
1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Rushmere St Andrew: 6185.
Local licensing authority for Rushmere St Andrew is Suffolk Coastal.
About Rushmere St Andrew
A sprawling parish on the eastern outskirts of Ipswich, encompassing various housing estates, a more traditional village centre with a duck pond and heathland which is now used mainly as a golf course. Recorded in Domesday as "Ryscemara".
The village has two village signs, one in the old village and another in the new estate (see gallery).
Work started on a new pub on the corner of Bent Lane and Woodbridge Road shortly after WW2, but work was curtailed after the cellar had been dug. This was probably to have been the Tollgate Inn (the tollgate on the turnpike was at this location) for which Cobbold's were granted a license in 1939. Though strangely (if this was the Tollgate) the license was still recorded as active in the Ipswich licensing records at least as late as 1948.
A late Bronze Age cemetery was found on Rushmere Common (in the 19th century?)
Due to boundary changes, the Britannia (demolished and replaced in 1910 by the Lattice Barn in Ipswich) was formerly listed as being in Rushmere parish. Similarly, the Greyhound (afterwards called the Garland in Ipswich) was also once listed in Rushmere parish.
Bixley was once a separate parish then became part of Rushmere and is now a housing estate in the eastern suburbs of Ipswich - but has no pubs.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.