1 Real Ale pub
other licensed premises
temporarily closed premises
Closed brewery (post-1970)
Rougham is part of Rushbrooke with Rougham parish.
Population (2011) of Rushbrooke with Rougham parish: 1200.
Local licensing authority for Rougham is St Edmundsbury.
A large fragmented parish, by-passed by the A14 and recorded in Domesday as "Ruhham". Large industrial and residential estates now dominate some quarters. A Roman burial mound with earthenware artifacts and cremated remains was excavated locally. The ancient Peddars Way, marked by old hedgerows, passes through the parish. Coins minted for King Cnut (1016-35) have been found near the church.
A small post mill used to stand in the north-east of the parish, near Thurston. It was built in 1770 and worked until 1880. It was demolished at the end of WWII, but some parts remain.
Rougham airfield was built by Richard Costains from Sept 1942 as RAF Bury St Edmunds. Initially it was home to B26 (Martin Marauder) planes from April 1943 onwards flown by the USAF 450 and 452 Bomber Squadrons and then from June 1943 it became the home base for B17 (Flying Fortress) planes flown by the USAF 94 Bomb Group. By Dec 1945 when all operations had ceased (including various leaflet dropping and displaced people moving missions in latter months) the 94th had lost a total of 153 aircraft in 30 months of operations and a further 27 in various other accidents. The base had a reputation for hosting big name entertainers. Bing Crosby, Clark Gable, Bob Hope and Glenn Miller were amongst the artists who played here. Today much of the airfield is used for light industrial use including the former parachute packing shed which is currently occupied by Bartram's Brewery. The control tower is maintained as a museum.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
Some details from â€œSuffolk Airfields in WW2â€ by Graham Smith.