Rickinghall Inferior

Photo from Rickinghall Inferior

1 Real Ale pub

Useful links

Population (2011) of Rickinghall Inferior: 449.

Local licensing authority for Rickinghall Inferior is Mid Suffolk.

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Map

About Rickinghall Inferior

Now by-passed, this linear settlement has many fine 16th and 17th century buildings. The village consists of two contiguous parishes - Inferior and Superior - whose borders follow the course of an underground stream, crosses the street and runs through many houses and at one time through the bar of the fomer Hamblyn House (now a private residence). The village of Botesdale adjoins at the eastern end. The whole area has been designated a conservation area with several thatched houses. Basil Brown, the archaeologist responsible for the discovery of Sutton Hoo lived here for a while. A colony of large, edible snails still exist locally and may be descendants of those once imported by the Romans, of whom some archaeological evidence has been found.

Evidence of Iron Age occupation has been found in the area of Briar Lane.

The Rickinghalls are recorded in Domesday variously as "Richingehala", "Richingehalla", "Rikingahala" and "Rikinchala". Rickinghall Inferior appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Rickingale parva".

Inferior and Superior don't denote how important the two parishes are; Inferior refers to it being on lower ground, Superior being on higher ground.


Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.