loading
X

Pakenham

Photo from Pakenham

1 Real Ale pub


Useful links

Population (2011) of Pakenham: 922.


Local licensing authority for Pakenham is St Edmundsbury.

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Map

About Pakenham

The "village of two mills", Pakenham is a settlement grouped in an "L" shape around fenland, with a stream running picturesquely across one of the main streets. Now the only parish in England with both a water mill and windmill in working order. The former is often open to the public in summer months. Mulberry House (formerly the Old Vicarage) contains the "Whistler Window", the last work of the distinguished portrait artist Rex Whistler, who died in action soon afterwards.

A short distance north-east of the windmill is the site of the ancient Mickle Mere, which was at one time supposedly surrounded by settlements. Nearby, a possible Romano-British cemetery was found in about 1810. A number of Anglo-Saxon hut sites were uncovered by quarrying around Grimstone End.

The Roman fort of Ixworth stood in the north of the parish, close to the border with the current village of that name. It's believed to have been built to deal with the Boudiccan revolt and fell into disuse in the 1st century. A Roman villa has also been found at Redcastle Farm and was partly excavated in the 1950s. Many other archaeological finds around the parish attest to the area's long occupation.

Pakenham was recorded in Domesday as "Pachenham".

Acknowledgements

Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.