1 Real Ale pub
1 ancient pub
Closed brewery (post-1970)
Population (2011) of Oulton: 4060.
Local licensing authority for Oulton is Waveney district.
Mainly large, modern housing estates on the flood plain of the River Waveney just to the north of Oulton Broad. It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as Oldton. The author George Borrow (1840-1881) was once a resident of the parish. Arnold's Mill stood on the river west of Camps Heath where it was used for pumping. It was probably built in the 18th century and demolished about 1900.
A House of Industry was built in 1765 just north of the Blue Boar (where Union Ln is now located). It was enlarged in 1833 to accommodate up to 174 inmates (1851 census). An infirmary was added to NE of the workhouse in 1881, followed by an additional infirmary block to its south by 1898. By 1926, the medical facilities were extended by the addition of a female mental ward and a male TB ward. After 1930, the former workhouse site became known as Lothingland House, and then Lothingland Hospital which provided mental health care. The original workhouse building was demolished in the early 1960s. The former chapel still stands.
The river crossing close to Lake Lothing was formerly known as Mutford Bridge.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.