1 Real Ale pub
Population (2011) of Monks Eleigh: 505.
Local licensing authority for Monks Eleigh is Babergh.
About Monks Eleigh
A classic High Suffolk cloth manufacturing centre. The small green still retains the village water pump. The parish was a "peculiar" under the control of the Archbishop of Canterbury's Peculiar Deanery of Bocking and not the Diocese of Norwich like most of the county. Traces of Palaeolithic, Roman and Saxon settlement have all been found here.
The village appears on the 1837 OS map as "Monks Illeigh". John Speed's 1610 map shows it as "Munke silye".
The old Guildhall dates from the 15th century.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.