1 Real Ale pub
Population (2011) of Middleton: 343.
Local licensing authority for Middleton is Suffolk Coastal.
Overlooking the Minsmere river, with a green area outside the pub, the village should properly be known as Middleton cum Fordley. At one time both settlements had churches which shared the same yard, but the parishes were eventually united "because bells and people at one church disturbed those of the other". The only remaining trace of Fordley is the 16th cent. Hall.
Middleton was recorded in Domesday as "Mideltuna" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Midleton".
Middleton Moor, with the 15th - 16th cent. Moor Farm is a large green to the west of the village.
Mill Street marks the location of a post mill which was demolished in 1913.
There must be an interesting story behind the sculpture of a cowboy on the edge of the village (see gallery), but we have yet to find out what it is.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.