Population (2011) of Metfield: 388.
Local licensing authority for Metfield is Mid Suffolk.
A compact settlement centred around the church and pond with a water pump. A former airfield and Metfield Green are just to the south. Wink's Meadow is a Suffolk Wildlife Trust reserve holding a number of rare plants associated with old undisturbed grassland.
The last remaining pub has been closed since August 2009, when it shut with much acrimony reported in the local media. A planning request to redevelop the site has been turned down (see the Diss Express). It has since been converted into tea rooms.
Only fragments of Ball's Mill remain. It was destroyed about 1914 after an explosion at a nearby airfield. Goldbold's Mill was a five storey tower mill thought to date from 1839. It was demolished in 1916.
RAF Metfield was operational from Aug 1943 when P47 (Thunderbolt) planes of the USAF 353rd Fighter Group flew from here until April 1944 when they moved to Raydon. After May 1944 B24 planes operated by 491st Bomb Group were here until they moved to North Pickenham in August. After their departure the airfield was subsequently used by C47 (Skytrain or Dakota) aircraft operated by Air Transport Command and some of their special operations included various secret flights to Sweden (WW2 neutral) to recover interned US airmen.
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monument