other licensed premises
5 closed premises
1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Melton: 3741.
Local licensing authority for Melton is Suffolk Coastal.
A large village lying on the northern bank of the river Deben and now converged with Woodbridge. Melton was recorded in Domesday as "Meltuna". The station has reopened to passenger traffic after many years of closure. A 15th cent. Gaol house can still be seen on the main street (near Post Office). In 1558 it housed Francis Noone who was confined prior to her burning. Close to Wilford Bridge on the north side of the village is a picnic area which gives good views of river estuary and offers fine riverside walks.
The new housing estate and 9 hole golf course about a mile north of the town (close to Ufford Park) is located on the site of the former House of Industry for parishes of Loes and Wilford hundreds (built in 1765) which was then later (1827) converted into the Suffolk Lunatic Asylum. Later it was better known as St Audry's Hospital and in 1970s had 530 beds (closed 1993).