1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Martlesham: 5478.
Local licensing authority for Martlesham is Suffolk Coastal.
The original settlement and pubs are now by-passed on the northern side. The church stands rather isolated overlooking Martlesham Creek, the mouth of which forms the confluence of rivers Fynn and Deben.
Martlesham was recorded in Domesday as "Merlesham" and on John Speed's 1610 map as "Mertleſham".
Nearby Martlesham Heath has become established as a separate settlement. Various pleasant walks locally include footpaths long the river walls to Woodbridge (about 2 miles).
Iron Age and Romano-British artefacts found in Martlesham Creek at Sluice Wood are indicative of ancient settlements there.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.