Population (2011) of Leavenheath: 1370.
Local licensing authority for Leavenheath is Babergh.
Leavenheath is a relatively new parish, set in the heart of Constable country. In 1952 local people, primarily the farming community, decided they would create a civil parish of Leavenheath and establish a parish council, using the earlier established ecclesiastical boundaries. The parish was carved out from parts of the adjacent parishes of Assington, Nayland, Polstead and Stoke-by-Nayland.
The area appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Smatebridge".
The church (St Matthew) was erected in 1835 with a register dating from 1863.
Honey Tye is a small settlement to the south of the main village, close to Nayland.