1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Laxfield: 910.
Local licensing authority for Laxfield is Mid Suffolk.
Laxfield is an attractive large village which had a mediaeval market. Some beautiful buildings still grace the centre. The church has a magnificent 15th century freestone and flint tower, although its interior received the attention of iconoclast, William Dowsing, a native of the parish in the 17th century. Opposite the church is a 16th century Guildhall which now houses the local museum, which is open at weekends during the summer months. Amongst the exhibits are several artefacts connected with the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway, which had its eastern terminus in the parish. The "Middy" ran from Laxfield via 9 stations to Haughley Junction, where it met the main Ipswich to Norwich line. The last train ran in 1952. Today a Mid-Suffolk Light Railway museum can be found at Brockford (off A140). See www.mslr.org.uk.
Goram's Mill Lane marks the site of Goram's Mill, a four storey smock mill erected in 1842. In 1910 it was converted to use a steam engine and continued in use until 1935. Only a single storey stump remains. Mill Road was also the site of a windmill, a post mill built in 1769 and demolished about 1941.
There were reportedly nine pubs in Laxfield at one time, so we still have a few to find.
Laxfield was recorded in Domesday as "Laxefelda"; clearly it was an important settlement at the time as various citizens of the village are mentioned in some 240 other entries.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.