1 Real Ale pub
Kirton in Domesday
Population (2011) of Kirton: 1146.
Local licensing authority for Kirton is Suffolk Coastal.
Kirton is also historically listed as "Kirkton" (on the 1856 OS map) and formerly as "Guston". It was a tiny settlement that replaced Strewston and Croxton which have since completely vanished. Kirton was recorded in Domesday as "Kirketuna". Today the village is much larger and more modern. Pleasant walks take you down to Kirton creek, a tributary to the river Deben.
Cropmarks seen in aerial photographs in 2001 have revealed the existence of what's thought to have been an Iron Age and Roman settlement which stood in the fields west of Trimley Road and stretched as far as Kirton Hall and Croft Farm.
A QL Type bombing decoy was built near Kirton Creek (at TM 296 416) in 1943 to deflect enemy bombing against coastal landing points being constructed for the invasion of Normandy. See Pastscape for more information.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.