1 ancient pub
Kelsale is part of Kelsale cum Carlton parish.
Population (2011) of Kelsale cum Carlton parish: 990.
Local licensing authority for Kelsale is Suffolk Coastal.
Kelsale is a large village just to the north of Saxmundham which also contains the hamlets of East Green, North Green, Cullar Green and part of Carlton Green. It's been dry since the Eight Bells closed in 1986.
The Guildhall in the village centre dates from 1495 and was used as the village school for about a century. Kelsale was recorded in Domesday variously as "Cheresala", "Kereshalla", "Chylesheala" and "Carahalla".
Harvey's Mill was a post mill which worked until 1900 and was mostly demolished in 1924 It stood about 300m north-north-east from the old Rising Sun.
Kelsale forms a twin parish with the adjacent Carlton, where the Poacher's Pocket can be drunk in. There's no clear delineation between the two settlements.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.