1 Real Ale pub
Population (2011) of Kedington: 1849.
Local licensing authority for Kedington is St Edmundsbury.
This village (known locally as "Kitton", which was the name of the original settlement) grew rapidly in the 1960s as part of the Haverhill overspill scheme. It was recorded in Domesday as "Kidituna" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Kediton". The church of St Peter & St Paul has been untouched for at least 200 years and contains a large number of "Barnardiston Monuments" causing it to be styled "The Westminster Abbey of Suffolk" by John Betjeman . Samuel Barnardiston was said to be the original Roundhead.
There's evidence of human habitation here for some 5000 years; a Neolithic arrowhead has been found in the garden of Watermill House. More recently, a possible Roman villa was found near Cotton Hall in 1980.
Kedington Hall, which stood near Hall Road, was built in the 13th century, but little now remains of it. A tower windmill stood in Mill Road, but was demolished in 1945.
The watermill still stands in Mill Road. According to a plaque on the wall:
A watermill on this site
Listed in the Doomsday(sic) Book
Present mill rebuilt 18th century
Ceased working 1901
The Risbridge Union Workhouse was built in 1856 as a replacement for an older workhouse in Haverhill. After the foundation of the NHS, it was converted into a hospital. It was demolished some time after 1991 and a housing estate stands in its place, though it's commemorated by Risbridge Drive on that estate.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.