1 putative ex pub
Barton Mills in Domesday
Population (2011) of Barton Mills: 1052.
Local licensing authority for Barton Mills is Forest Heath.
About Barton Mills
Barton Mills is a large residential village, which was known as "Little Barton" in Saxon times and recorded in Domesday variously as "Bartona" and "Bertunna". John Speed's 1610 map shows it as "Berton". It may also have been called Barton Parvatt in the 18th century.
Excavations in gravel pits around Warren Hill have unearthed over 1000 tools; mainly Palaeolithic, some Neolithic.
A mill and wharf were once located on the river Lark, with a daily passenger ferry to Norwich. Alexander Fleming was once a resident of the village.
The village's Scarecrow Festival is held every other year and draws in large crowds of visitors. It features in the Guinness Book of Records for the largest number of scarecrows made at one time. A scarecrow even features on the village sign.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.