loading
X

Hoxne

Photo from Hoxne

2 closed premises

Ancient pubs are defined as those which are believed to have closed before the middle of the 19th century.

Brewery


Useful links

Population (2011) of Hoxne: 889.


Local licensing authority for Hoxne is Mid Suffolk.

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Map

About Hoxne

Pronounced "Hox-en" and also once called Englesdune, Hoxne was recorded in Domesday variously as "Hoxna", "Hoxa", "Hoxana" and "Hox" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Hoxon".

Hoxne Brewery was founded in the village in 2014, but was quickly so successful it had to move to larger premises nearby in Palgrave in 2016.

Although there a number of new developments at the Cross Street end, this is a very ancient site with considerable history. The number of finds indicate that the area was an important Palaeolithic site. A massive hoard of valuable Roman coins was also found locally in 1992*. There are unsubstantiated claims that King Edmund, once the Saxon King of East Anglia, was killed here in 870 by invading Danes. Legend claims he was hiding under Golbrook bridge but was given away by a couple en-route to church to get married. He was subsequently tied to an oak tree and executed with bow and arrows, but not before he had cursed anyone who subsequently crossed the bridge on their wedding day.

In the 10th century, one of two East Anglian Cathedrals were established at St Ethelbert's church. Later a cell of monks from Norwich formed a cult of St Edmund here at Hoxne Abbey.

A cattle fair was also held here until it was re-located to Harleston (Norfolk) in 1780. In the 19th century a large flax mill and linen factory was located here. The4 500 acre Oakley Park was the home of Sir Edward Kerrison (1776-1853) and straddles the parish boundary with Oakley near the river. Sir Edward served under Sir John Moore and later Wellington as a colonel in 7th Hussars during the peninsular campaign (1808-09), and later at the battle of Waterloo and the surrender of Paris (1815).

* The Hoxne hoard has been described as the finest Roman treasure ever discovered in Britain. Discovered by Eric Lawes it comprised of around 200 gold and silver objects (including bracelets, spoons and figurines) together with 14,780 (mostly) silver coins. Items had been wrapped in cloth and packed in wooden boxes before being buried about 1600 years ago. Eric & a local tenant farmer subsequently shared £1.75 million and many items are now in the British Museum.