5 closed premises
Population (2011) of Barrow: 1677.
Local licensing authority for Barrow is St Edmundsbury.
Barrow is a large, pleasant village around two greens and a long main road. The village was recorded in Domesday as "Baro". The ancient Shakers Way - so named because of the violent attacks made by robbers who frequented the route - passes through the village. A stone near the school supposedly marks where one such highwayman met his fate on the gibbet.
The village appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Bareowe".
Barrow Hall was demolished in about 1730. A smock mill stood in Meadow Road until it was demolished in 1926.
A "pleasure fair" used to be held in the village on 1st May.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.