Where pubs have been renamed, we usually list only the most recent known name here. Other names can be found in the Pub list tab. (For closed pubs which only traded for a short time under a newer name, we generally list them under the longer-established name) Ancient pubs are defined as those which are believed to have closed before the middle of the 19th century.
Population (2011) of Halesworth: 4726.
Local licensing authority for Halesworth is Waveney district.
Beccles for a puritan,
Bungay for the poor,
Halesworth for a drunkard,
And Blythburgh for a whoreold verse
The settlement was recorded in Domesday as "Haleurda", "Halesuuorda" or "Healesuurda".
The town certainly became an important brewing and malting centre after the opening of the River Blyth Navigation after an Act of Parliament in 1756. Today, the canal is little more than a stream, giving no clue as to its former navigability.
Halesworth Museum can be found at the town's railway station.
RAF Halesworth was just north east of the town, and was operational from July 1943, with P47 (Thunderbolts) flown by the USAF 56th Fighter Squadron being based here. Under Colonel Hubert Zemke they were soon to become one of the finest fighter groups in the entire US 8th Air Force and after April 1944 were based at Boxted (north Essex). From May to November 1944 the 489th Bomb Group was based at Halesworth, flying B24 planes. Finally the airfield was mainly used for training and air-sea rescue with a variety of aircraft based here including Catalinas.
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith.