1 Real Ale pub
1 putative ex pub
Grundisburgh in Domesday
Population (2011) of Grundisburgh: 1584.
Local licensing authority for Grundisburgh is Suffolk Coastal.
Grundisburgh is a large village, pleasantly set around a central green with a stream running through it. It was recorded in Domesday as "Grundesbur", "Grundesburg", "Grundesburh" or "Grundesburc". John Speed's 1610 map shows the village as "Grundeſboro".
Basts, just to the east of the church, is a fine Tudor building, rebuilt by Thomas Awall. The father of his wife, Alice, was the master cook to Edward IV and Henry VII.
Post Mill Gardens mark the location of a mill built in 1807, which worked until 1929. After part-demolition in 1930, the remains were made part of a house. Another mill, a miniature smock mill, stood a short distance north-west of the post mill until its demolition in about 1957.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.