other licensed premises
1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Great Bealings: 302.
Local licensing authority for Great Bealings is Suffolk Coastal.
About Great Bealings
Great Bealings has been pub-less since the Boot closed in 1961. It was recorded in Domesday as "Belinges" and is shown on John Speed's 1610 map as "Bealing mag".
The village centre is tucked away in a quiet spot about a mile from the A12; Seckford Hall is close to the main road.
It was recorded in Domesday as "Belinges" and is shown on John Speed's 1610 map as "Bealing mag".
The village sign is unusual in that it stands on the boundary with Little Bealings and has that village's sign on the other side.
Boot Street Bridge is believed to date from the early 19th century. An iron smelting shaft furnace of unknown date has been excavated north-west of the golf club.
Although we don't have details, there must once have been a brewery in Great Bealings; the Ipswich Journal of September 4th 1779 reported that a three year-old had fallen into a cooling keeler of beer and died from the scalds he received.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.