Flixton (nr. Bungay)
1 Real Ale pub
- Flixton, St Cross & St Margaret South Elmham parish council
- Norfolk & Suffolk aviation museum
Population (2011) of Flixton (nr. Bungay): 176.
Local licensing authority for Flixton (nr. Bungay) is Waveney district.
About Flixton (nr. Bungay)
Set amongst woodland and a deer park in the Waveney Valley, Flixton was recorded in Domesday as "Flixtuna". The Augustine nunnery (founded in 1258 by Margery, widow of Sir Bartholomeew de Creke) was dissolved by 1528 and little of it now survives. Flixton hall, home to the Adair family for over 200 years, achieved local notoriety due to the legend of a former servant being whipped to death - hence the tale of the "bloody hands". The original Elizabethan style hall was damaged by a severe fire in 1846. The Adair family however continued to live at the hall until after the Second World War, when they were forced to sell most of their estate (nearly 3000 acres). Most of the building was subsequently demolished after falling into disrepair in 1952.
Behind the pub, the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation museum is well worth visiting and admission is free; switch the map to "satellite" and zoom in for a good aerial view of it.
One past manager of the Flixton Estate was Charles Boycott, whose shunning by Irish people resenting his enforcement of rent-rises on behalf of absentee landlords brought the word "boycott" into the language.
Take care not to confuse this village with the other Flixton, which is between Oulton and Blundeston.