1 Real Ale pub
1 ancient pub
1 putative ex pub
Barham in Domesday
Population (2011) of Barham: 1504.
Local licensing authority for Barham is Mid Suffolk.
Located on the former Ipswich to Norwich main road and now bypassed by the A14, Barham was recorded in Domesday as "Bercham". Flooded local gravel pits provide pleasant places for picnics.
Locals pronounce the village name "Barram" (with a short first "a".
Shrubland hall is the site of a medieval deer park. The Hall was used as a convalescent home during the Great War and the Old Hall as a brigade HQ during the the Second World War. After the Second World War it was used for 40 years as a health farm; this venture closed in 2006. After reopening in 2015 as a hotel (called Shrubland Royale) with a restaurant and spa) this seems to have closed down, with reports of bad reviews. Previous owners included Sir Nicholas Bacon (keeper of the Great Seal for Elizabeth I) and Rear Admiral Sir George Nathaniel Broke Middleton from 1865-87.
The church contains a statue by Henry Moore: "Madonna & Child", which was originally commissioned as a war memorial for Claydon but moved to Barham when the church in Claydon was closed and the two parishes combined.
The village may have been the location of a Saxon/Dane battle and skeletons facing down were excavated in Chapelfields in 1934.
A "House of Industry" was located on a 20-acre site in Barham. An H-shaped red brick building of two storeys with attics, built in 1766. It could accommodate up to 400 inmates. Taken over by Bosmere and Claydon Poor Law Union in 1835, Barham is one of the workhouses with a claim to have been the basis of Charles Dickens' story Oliver Twist. Dickens is said to have visited this workhouse and to have seen a record book containing the details of a ten-year-old boy's apprenticeship. The building was subsequently occupied by troops or prisoners of war during the the Great War, and by Italian prisoners of war during World War Two. Use as a workhouse ended in 1920 and the building was demolished in 1963.
The Bosmere & Claydon Infections Diseases Hospital was built in Barham in about 1911. It's now used for housing. An isolation hospital dating from before 1885 was nearby, but was demolished some time after 1925. The existence of the two establishments is commemorated by the name of the street: Pesthouse Lane.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)