1 Real Ale pub
1 ancient pub
Closed brewery (post-1970)
Population (2011) of Elveden: 254.
Local licensing authority for Elveden is Forest Heath.
Elveden is a small village set in the Brecklands, with a hall which is highly unusual, having been completely rebuilt for Duleep Singh (Maharajah of Lahore) between 1863 & 1870, with an Italian façade and a rich oriental interior. The Earl of Iveagh later added a massive marble hall (1899-1904) and had the village and church rebuilt in Edwardian times. Amongst the many posts he held was chairman of Guinness. Nearby Center(sic) Parcs(sic) holiday village now offers modern leisure facilities.
The village is dominated by the massive Elveden Estate, which owns most of the land here and in many of the nearby villages. Elveden is a major onion-growing area, with the estates producing some 28 000 tonnes annually (6% of the whole country's onion crop).
Many ancient clay and chalk pits bear evidence of the area's long occupation, as do the large numbers of Stone Age artefacts unearthed. The Romans were obviously here as well; in 1953 a hoard of 1146 Roman coins were found on the Elveden Estate.
The shooting estates of Elveden Hall were used during the Great War for training the country's first tank crews.
Early in the 20th century, Elveden Hall was enlarged. A temporary narrow-gauge railway was built between the hall and nearby Barnham station to carry the materials.
The village is also sometimes listed as Elden. Although it's sometimes claimed that the village's name has something to do with elves, it actually comes from an Old English word meaning "Swan valley". It was recorded in Domesday variously as "Heluedana", "Eluedena" and "Haluedona" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Elden".
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.