Christmas, Charles Frederick brewery
The brewery was established in 1809 by Joseph Boreham. William Boreham is listed by 1865. Charles Frederick Christmas acquired the brewery from William Ward & Son in 1894 and continued to brew in the town until his death in 1918.
In 1912 F.C.Christmas & Co are listed as brewers.
F.C. Christmas & Co was subsequently acquired by Greene King in 1918 together with 49 pubs; brewing ceased in 1924. The 49 pubs were purchased by Greene King for £55,000.
The 1956 photograph shows, centre right, what were the brewery maltings. The brewery itself is over the road, opposite the white house in the centre of picture.
[The building with white panelling and roof feature in the top left of the photograph is another town brewery in Chauntry Road].
The brewery site on Camps Road is now used as a doctor's surgery.