loading
X
no picture yet

Halesworth brewery

11 Market Place

Founded 1770; also registered as J. C. Evans & Co.

In 1839 Reeve & Cracknell are listed as maltsters and brewers at the Market place.

The 1844 White's Directory lists Reeve & Cracknell as brewers (Market Place.

The 1855 White's Directory lists Thomas Cracknell as a brewer (Market Place.

A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1855 states that :

Mr B Rix is instructed by the proprietor, Mr Thomas Cracknell, (who is retiring from business), to sell by auction, at the Three Tuns Inn, Halesworth, on 13th June 1855, in 41 lots. The Halesworth Brewery, with tap room, extensive ale, porter, and spirit stores, wine vaults, malt and hop rooms, counting house, stabling, and outhouses, substantially built and well arranged in an enclosed brewery yard, with a plot of fine meadow land adjacent; malting and thirty four excellent Inns and public houses, eligibly situated in the following populous Market towns, Ports, and Villages, in the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk, comprising of the Three Tuns, Hawk, White Hart, Ship, Wherry, Queen's head, Rose and Crown, a 30 coomb malting, cottage and land in Halesworth; the Crown Inn and Fishing Buss, in Southwold; the Cross Keys and Dolphin, in Beccles; the Queen's Head Inn and Coach and Horses in Saxmundham; the Greyhound at Linstead; the Bell at Cratfield; the White Lion at Heveningham; the Swan at Wilby; the Angel at Fressingfield; the White Horse at St James Southelmham; the Royal Oak at St. Lawrence Ilketshall; the Dog at Brampton; the Cherry Tree at Stoven; the Lion at Wangford; the Anchor at Walberswick; the Compasses at Wenhaston; the Bell at Middleton; the White Horse at Leiston; the Cross at Aldeburgh; the Ship at Blaxhall; the George at Farnham; the Falcon at Earl Soham; the Angel at Peasenhall; a capital malting (30 coomb steep) at Rumburgh, all in Suffolk; the Lion, at Monk Tofts; and the Duke, at Earsham, in Norfolk. The Brewery with business premises, the meadows, the maltings, and several Inns and public houses, will be sold in distinct lots. In the sale of the home premises, which stand in the heart of the important mercantile and much frequented market town of Halesworth, now possessing the great additional advantage of railway communication, will be included all the fixed brewing plant, and the goodwill of the old established and lucrative private trade in wine and spirits, with a first rate connection, extending over an opulent and populous district of the county. The Inns and public houses are for the most part well tenanted, are eligibly situated for trade, many of them good roadside houses, with productive gardens, arable lands, and pastures attached.

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

In 1865 George, Stanford & Holden are listed as brewers, wine & spirit merchants, & dealers in London stout, burton, scotch & pale ales at Halesworth brewery and George Thompson is listed as brewer, maltster, spirit, corn, coal & lime merchant and dealer in London porter & stout, burton, scotch & pale ales at Angel yard & Halesworth brewery.

A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1885 states :

On the 1st January 1885 the tenants of Messrs Harwood, of the Halesworth Brewery, with the free customers and friends were invited to dinner at the Swan, Tunns and Hawk Inns, Halesworth. Most sumptuous repasts were served, a bountiful supply of wine provided, while toasts and song was the order of the evening.

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

Acquired by Colchester Brewing Co Ltd in 1888 with option to acquire 61 freehold and 12 leasehold houses; brewing ceased in 1925 when Ind Coope took over.

In 1912 listed as Colchester Brewing Co Ltd - brewers & maltsters & wine & spirit merchants with D Hill as manager (Market Place).